Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Yokohama

Back on June 20th, I went to Yokohama, Japan with some friends from here at Yokota. It is about a 2 hour train trip down there, even though it is only about 18 miles from Tokyo. Yokohama is a separate city, located on the bay, so it is known for it's shipping industry. There is also a huge Chinatown located here. We had a good time wandering around, eating at this awesome buffet for lunch, going up in the observation deck, and riding the ferris wheel. It was a fun time and yet another cool Japanese tourist adventure. I love getting to see all these sights and places, while LIVING here in Japan. That way, you can see them at your own pace instead of having to smash them all into a short window of vacation time.
The HUGE ferris wheel and clock that overlooks Yokohama. We rode on this, and yes, it stopped when we were up at the top.
The Landmark Tower. This is the tallest inhabitable building in Japan. There is a hotel, offices, shopping, and the observation deck on the 69th floor.
The Landmark Tower sign.
The sign telling us that the observation deck is on the 69th floor. We went up there by elevator, which is supposed to be one of the fastest ones ever. It was pretty darn fast, which is good, since they like to cram as many people as possible into the thing!
Me with the observation window behind me. I was about 32 weeks pregnant here. (I'm almost 38 as I write this- so much bigger now! That also shows that I'm a bit behind on my blogging- I'm trying to get caught up before little one gets here though!)
A row of vending machines up on the observation floor. The Japanese L.O.V.E. these things- they are on every street corner I think! They sell both cold drinks and hot drinks out of them, along with snacks and sometimes even whole meals.
A view from the observation deck. It's just a wee bit crowded out there in Tokyo, huh? The view looks like this from every angle. I don't think I've ever been or lived anywhere with as many buildings as here in Tokyo.
We didn't eat lunch here, but we thought about it. It was tempting- ha.
Mike, Bridget, Matt and Amanda on the ferris wheel.
Hillary, Anders and myself on the ferris wheel.
This button was in the ferris wheel. You KNOW you want to push it...
The big ferris wheel.
Yokohama at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment