Saturday, August 1, 2009

Birthday Parties, Anniversaries and July 4th

I'll just make this a combo post of a few events and activities from the past few weeks. As you can see, I stay pretty busy around here and am rarely bored. That's a good thing I think! I feel like there is pretty much always something to do, if you want to get out and about, and I enjoy that lifestyle.

Nolan's Birthday
My friend Heather had a birthday party for her son Nolan. He turned the big...1! Here are a few of the guests (and their parents) watching Nolan (and Heather and Jake) open presents.
Heather and Nolan opening presents
Nolan's way cool cake and candles. It opened up, spun around and played Happy Birthday. Seriously- the Japanese come up with some cool stuff!
Nolan getting ready to dig in! He actually wasn't a big fan of the cake in the end, or getting it all over him. Most of it was left on the plate, and the adults ate all the cupcakes!

July 4, 2009
This is Hanger 15, on base. It's where they hold pretty much all the large events here at Yokota. For July 4th, they had it all opened up with a stage at the back for live bands to play on; a food line on the side w/ free bbq, burgers, hotdogs, chicken, corn on the cob, beans, chips, bread, drinks, cookies, etc.; and tables for people to sit/eat. In front of the hanger were all kinds of little stands with stuff to do- face painting, go carts, tshirts, giveaways...all sorts of stuff and all free! It was a fun time. I wish Brett could have been here to enjoy it, but I had a fun time with all the friends I've made from around base.
A few pictures of the fireworks (my camera has a hard time capturing them). This was the 1st time in 3 years they have gotten to shoot off fireworks on July 4th- it has rained every other year!


Our 1st Wedding Anniversary
Once Brett FINALLY made it home from Singapore, we did get to celebrate our anniversary. I made dinner and we celebrated with "sparkRing soda" - no I'm not even making that up. Don't you love the Japanese translations? Ha!
Our delicious anniversary cake :) FD is Brett's nickname at work. It was a chocolate cake w/ white frosting and pink embelishments, just like our wedding cake though (although that cake had pink orchids on it instead of writing!)
Here's why it said what it did - I let Brett ice the cake! We did exchange anniversary gifts as well. I went the traditional route and did "paper" as the 1st anniversary gift. I got Brett a neat picture that is framed and hanging on the wall in the "man room". It is a print of a star map of Ambergris Caye, Belize from the night we got married. It is pretty cool looking I think, and came with a star chart describing all the constellations. I also got him tickets to go on a dinner cruise thru the Tokyo Bay one night (we will probably go one night after lil' one gets here and my parents are visiting and can babysit). Brett went modern with his gift, which is "clocks". He bought me an awesome Tag Heuer watch- pearl faced with diamonds where the #s are. It's beautiful. I went into Tachikawa a few days ago and got the band adjusted and it fits great now. I LOVE it, and I needed a new watch too!!! Go Brett!!

Trip to Ikea
This is all my loot from IKEA. I went there with my sweet neighbor Bridget one day. It's about a 2 hour drive from base, but we had a great time. I got TONS of stuff- 2 lamps, 2 small tables, some kitchen items, some stuff for the nursery, a rug...all kinds of stuff for only $210! Not bad, huh?

John's Birthday
Lastly, a picture of my sweet friend Daphne (we PCS'd here at the same time- literally, we were on the same plane together. They were the row in front of us from Seattle to here!) and her super fun neighbor Bonnie. It was Daphne's hubby John's birthday, so we got together to grill, eat and chat. Good times. And the best part- I totally don't even look prego in this picture (although I'm about 36 wks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment